Following the Cowboys’ win over the Chargers on MNF, Week 6 Is now officially in the books, which means our NFL Power Rankings heading into Week 7 of the 2023 season are out. Brace yourselves, there is a new team in the driver’s seat. The Detroit Lions, yes the Lions are our new No. 1. If you are over 30 years of age or so, you know that these aren’t your parents’ Lions. Nor are they the team you may have cheered for during your youth. This team is a bonified contender in the NFC.
Why the Lions deserve the No. 1 slot
The thing about NFL Power Rankings is that everyone has an opinion and a reason why they place each team in the spot they see fit. Here at Sports Odds Digest, we are into the here and now, not what happened last week, month, or year. Case and point, several websites and national NFL experts have the Chiefs listed above the Lions in their PR this week. That seems very odd to me. The Lions beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead to open the season, right? By default in my mind, since they both are 5-1, the Lions should (and are here at least) be ahead of Kansas City.
The Lions aren’t just tied with the 49ers, Dolphins, and Eagles for the best records in the league, they are also one of the hottest teams in the league dating back to last October.
Following yesterday’s win at Tampa, Detroit improved to 13-3 in their last 16 games. While last year obviously doesn’t count for this week’s PR, this does.
The Lions have arguably played much stiffer competition in the first six weeks of the season than the Chiefs, Eagles, Dolphins, and Niners have. If Detroit beats the Baltimore Ravens in Week 7, they will improve to 4-0 on the road. The other three road kills include Kansas City, Green Bay, and Tampa Bay. Not too shabby!
Congrats to Dan Campbell and the Lions on the great start. Now fans in Motown are hoping for an NFC North crown and some postseason wins.
NFL Power Rankings Top 10
The Lions lead the pack and the Panthers are bringing up the rear. With 11 weeks remaining in the season this snapshot in time could look a whole lot different come January.
Below is a look at the Week 7 Power Rankings and each team’s latest odds to win Super Bowl 58 next February in Las Vegas, Nevada. Odds via Fan Duel.
- Detroit Lions (5-1) – Get ready world, these Lions aren’t going anywhere.
- Kansas City Chiefs (5-1) – Mahomes and Kelsey are 5-1, but they haven’t looked like the Chiefs yet.
- Miami Dolphins (5-1) Can Tua keep it up all year? If so, they are AFC title game contenders.
- San Francisco 49ers (5-1) Tough loss to Cleveland, but they will still fight for the one seed.
- Philadelphia Eagles (5-1) I’m not a believer that the Eagles are a Super Bowl team.
- Buffalo Bills (4-2) – Not good, not good. Something is off in Buffalo…
- Baltimore Ravens (4-2) – Mediocre? Overrated? I can’t figure the Ravens out.
- Jacksonville Jaguars (4-2) – The Jags offense has been sluggish, yet they are 4-2.
- Dallas Cowboys (4-2) – Wins will come, just not in the postseason.
- Pittsburgh Steelers (3-2) – I never doubt Coach Tomlin.
Best of the rest
11. Cleveland Browns (3-2)
12. Los Angeles Chargers (2-3)
13. New York Jets (3-3)
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-2)
15. Cincinnati Bengals (3-3)
16. Seattle Seahawks (3-2)
17. Los Angeles Rams (3-3)
18. New Orleans Saints (3-3)
19. Indianapolis Colts (3-3)
20. Las Vegas Raiders (3-3)
21. Houston Texans (3-3)
22. Atlanta Falcons (3-3)
23. Washington Commanders (3-3)
24. Green Bay Packers (2-2)
25. Minnesota Vikings (2-4)
26. Tennessee Titans (2-4)
27. New York Giants (1-5)
28. Denver Broncos (1-5)
29. Arizona Cardinals (1-5)
30. New England Patriots (1-5)
31. Chicago Bears (1-5)
32. Carolina Panthers (0-6)