On the heels of the Louisiana Derby, the road to the Kentucky Derby will now run through Florida this afternoon with the running of the annual Florida Derby. With the winner of today’s stake race taking home 100 points, the 2021 Florida Derby will once again have a huge effect on this year’s Kentucky Derby field.
Florida Derby – a quick history lesson
Since 1952 the Florida Derby has been a big part of the horse racing schedule. This year, a field of eleven will be ready to give it there all at Gulfstream Park on Saturday. With a purse of $750,000 on the line and 170 possible total points going out to the first four entries to cross the finish line, this nine-furlong race will have every horse racing enthusiast on the edge of their seat.
One tip to keep in mind for the future is that the winner of today’s big race seems to have great luck at the Kentucky Derby. In the past decade three different Florida Derby champs – Always Dreaming (2017), Nyquist (2016), and Orb in 2013 all went on to win at Churchill Downs.
To take it even a step further, according to Horse Racing Nation, 24 starters from the Florida Derby have gone on to win the Run for the Roses. Will that trend happen again this year?
Field, Odds, and How to watch live
Last week there was no big surprise when ‘Hot Rod Charlie’ crossed the finish line first at the Louisiana Derby. Hot Rod Charlie was a 3/1 favorite heading into the race.
This week, Greatest Honour is the big favorite. With Jockey Jose Ortiz, Greatest Honour is listed at 6/5 on the morning line. Right behind Greatest Honour is Spielberg. Trained by the legendary Bob Baffert, Spielberg is currently listed at 4/1.
The 2021 Florida Derby will be televised live on the NBC Sports Network. Coverage will begin at 6 p.m. ET with the race scheduled for just after 6:30 p.m. ET. The Florida Derby will also be available via live stream via the NBC Sports App.
If you can’t catch the action live, don’t worry. We will have the results posted here in the comments section as they unfold. The odds for the Florida Derby are listed below.
- Nova Rags (12-1 – Bill Mott / Junior Alvarado)
- Quantum Leap (20-1 – Ian Wilkes / Miguel Vasquez)
- Jirafales (30-1 – Gustavo Delgado / Edgard Zayas)
- Southern Passage (30-1 – Dale Romans / Corey Lanerie)
- Known Agenda (5-1 – Todd Pletcher / Irad Ortiz Jr.)
- Sigiloso (30-1 –Antonio Sano / Luis Reyes)
- Greatest Honour (6-5 – Shug McGaughey / Jose Ortiz)
- Soup and Sandwich (20-1 – Mark Casse / John Velazquez)
- Collaborate (6-1 – Saffie Joseph Jr. / Tyler Gaffalione)
- Spielberg (4-1 – Bob Baffert / Javier Castellano)
- Papetu (15-1 – Antonio Sano / Emisael Jaramillo)